Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Update

The other day I had fun filling out a little survey for my blog but I realize now it's time for a real update. I don't know where to start so I'll probably just ramble :)

Things have been a rollercoaster at work, busy, not busy, busy, not busy. Right now, we are not busy which is tough but God is completely providing for me because two of the other local nursing homes, also staffed by the therapy company I work for, are super busy and I've been able to get my hours. There was some interoffice drama last week which really messed me up for a few days. However, on Sunday when I was coming home from Louisiana, one of my friends from Birmingham picked me up at the airport and had a sermon CD from Highlands service. I popped it in and WOW did God speak to me. What I gleaned from the sermon was: relationships are super important (DUH) and that we have to handle crisis or in my case, drama, keeping in mind that the relationship is top priority. When I looked at the situation from that perspective, it all seemed so trivial and meaningless. The Lord is so good.

This past weekend I went home to visit a friend who just lost her grandmother. I felt like the trip was one the Lord wanted me to make and certainly one that I wanted to make as well. I flew out from Birmingham to New Orleans after work on Friday. Friday night we went to eat and to Lowe's (woohoo). Saturday, we had a Waffle House experience, did some shopping, and went to a crawfish boil. Sunday, we went to a church in New Orleans and had lunch before I had to head back out. It was a refreshing time and such a blessing.

Life in Montgomery is good. I had a "God" moment almost 2 weeks ago that put things into perspective for me. I had really been down and out about not really knowing anyone since moving here. It had been almost four months and still no "real" friendships had been formed. I had been attending a church here but things just weren't clicking. On April 25th, a Saturday, I was home chilling out when I really started to think about the whole situation. I decided to take my Bible and read and just think, if nothing else. I was sitting in Starbucks when my friend Adam called and asked how things were going. I told him things were okay and that I knew that God was trying to teach me something, I just didn't know what. Literally 2 minutes after we got off the phone, I opened my bible to Matthew chapter 21 and a verse jumped out at me that nearly left me stunned. I realized that I had to lean on and even fall on Jesus, the chief cornerstone. He wanted to break me and put his plan into action. It occurred to me that I was only satisfied if the plan was going my way. That next day in church, the sermon was about commitment and the story of Naaman was shared (if you are unfamiliar with this story, it is in 2 Kings) and God showed me that I was like Naaman, committed only if it was done my way. Immediately, I had a change of heart and began to see the church differently, the people differently and saw my purpose for being there begin to unfold. I don't know or understand the fullness of it yet but I'm psyched to see what is in store for me.

I know lots more is going on but I can't think of it all. I need to update more regularly so I can keep up!!!

Until next time
-Les

1 comment:

Guy Walker said...

It sounds like you are learning a lot in Montgomery. It can be hard moving to a new place. Stay strong.