Friday, October 16, 2009

Accountability!

This precious woman in the picture with me is one of the most amazing, wonderful, Godly people I have ever met. I mean, really when I think about it, it's almost ridiculous how sweet she is. I know that I exaggerate sometimes so most of you are thinking "Well, she must be kind of sweet". But I am SERIOUS! This girl rocks!

Rachel Milton and I met last summer during the very first Young Professionals small group at Church of the Highlands. I remember introducing myself to her and her just saying "Hey" and almost acting disinterested in speaking to me. Later on, I was talking to two other friends and asking if they knew who she was and they said they did and that she was awesome but just a bit shy at first.

So the next week, we talked again and then before long, large groups of us were hanging out together and Rachel was there in the midst. We became fast friends and I just admired her for her sweet spirit, ability to listen to what I had to say, and her love for ice cream. We talked often while I lived in Birmingham and then once I got down to Montgomery, it just kind of slacked off. Not intentionally at all, just kind of happened. We would text or call once a month or so.

In August, she came down to Montgomery with our friend, Brian, to celebrate my birthday and that was the first time I had seen her in months. It was such a treat. Then from my birthday until about 2 weeks ago we didn't talk at all. Again, not on purpose, just kind of how it happened.

About 2 weeks ago, she sent me a text just checking on me and we chatted for a bit. Not long after that she sent another text asking if I had an accountability partner. I told her that I didn't but that I had been praying intermittently for God to provide one. She said she had also been wanting to have an accountability partner. We decided we would pray for each other to find accountability. Later that night I thought to myself "I wonder if Rachel was hinting that she wanted to be my accountability partner?". I texted her back and she said that she wasn't hinting at that but she would love that. We both got excited about the possibility and made some plans about when and how to begin this "journey".

We "officially", if there is such a thing, started on Monday night and we have already had two 1-hour phone calls and several text messaging conversations that were extremely encouraging, life giving, challenging and just plain awesome. I am so pumped that the Lord saw fit to renew our friendship, that He decided we would make excellent accountability partners and made it happen for us. It's perfect timing but if you know anything about the Lord you already knew that was the case, because that's how He rolls :)

The Lord is great and greatly to be praised!

Until next time-
Les

No comments: