Monday, January 11, 2010

Day #2 and death

Wow....I woke up this morning (after only sleeping less than 6 hours) and I was jazzed about the day. I can't explain the joy that God has placed within my heart yet I am so grateful for it. I couldn't stop smiling. Everything was going smoothly with my residents and things were just moving along nicely until about 1:30 or so. About that time I went down the hall to see a new admit and I saw the curtain pulled all the way around the bed of one of my residents. I walked past the nurse and she stopped me and told me that he had passed away. I can't explain the sadness I felt. He had only been my patient for less than two weeks. He had only said 5 words to me the entire time he was there but we had a connection. He always made eye contact with me every time I was in his room. He was always smiling when I would say something. I would make jokes about being an LSU fan and that being the reason why he wasn't following my direction or whatever I was asking him to do. We just had a connection. My heart broke when I found out. There was a part of me that felt like I could be the "thing" or person to make him live longer. I don't know how to explain it. I'm grateful that the Lord allowed me the opportunity to care for him. I prayed when I first evaluated him that the Lord would just give me the ability to help him in some small way. I'm not sure if I did or not and I'll never know this side of heaven. But I can say this, my life has been blessed tremendously for having come in contact with him.

Thank you, Lord for giving me such amazing opportunities in my job to care for people. Thank you that you sustain me during the hard times. I pray that you are glorified in my career. I love you!

Until next time-
Les

No comments: