Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Ephesians 4:29

About a month ago, I decided I wanted to start memorizing scriptures. I've done this some before and it is so amazing how much those scriptures help in everyday life. I wrote down the scriptures on index cards and I am just now getting back to them to start memorizing. I started tonight with Ephesians 4:29....."Let no unwholesome talk come from your mouth, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs that it might benefit those who listen". By the way, I didn't have to look...I learned it already! Amazing how easy it is and yet I waited forever because it seemed like such a daunting task.
This scripture has so much relevance in life today. I was just listening to a sermon about marriage and preparing for marriage and the pastor was saying how important it is to encourage rather than discourage. Those encouraging words are right for SOOOO many situations and relationships. I know that life and death are in the power of the tongue. We have been given the power by the Lord to speak life and love over those we are surrounded by. It can be as simple as telling someone they look nice in their outfit. Or telling them that they helped you a great deal by doing ________. So many times compliments and nice words are hard to take and it's because we don't hear them and speak them enough!
Let's change that! Let's start today encouraging one another, guarding our tongues and speaking life not death!

Until next time,
Les

No comments: