Saturday, September 19, 2009

Discipleship and A washing machine

Thursday night I went to a ladies' gathering for church. It was refreshing, renewing, and eye opening! Several women shared testimonies of when God took care of them when it seemed that the bottom had fallen out. I was extremely encouraged by each story. One thing the Lord reminded me of during the night was that I really need and want and desire to be discipled. I know that discipleship is important but since moving from home nearly 3 years ago, I have not had a mentor that I met with on a regular basis. I have longed for that discipleship relationship for a very long time but it just hasn't been developed. So after this reminder, I'm praying hard. Praying for a mentor relationship. A relationship with an amazing Godly woman who can pour into me because she's been poured into. Someone who can help me to become a Proverbs 31 woman. Someone who can help me to draw nearer to the Lord in a new way. Someone who has been there, done that, and gotten the T-shirt. I long for that relationship. Lord, hear my cry.

On a lighter note, I made a very big purchase today. I feel like it is my first "big girl" purchase. Praise the Lord that it wasn't a car! It was a washing machine! Since moving here, I have not had a working washing machine and dryer. The washing machine was working for a short time but then the spin cycle quit or something ridiculous. The dryer has always worked but the cord had to be changed. I've had the cord for 6 months but I just haven't changed it. Last night, I decided I was going to attempt to change it and made it most of the way through and got tripped up right at the end. Thankfully, I have some capable friends who are going to help me finish the job. :).
I woke up early this morning and headed to Home Depot to make the big purchase. I had done a little research this past week so I kind of knew what I was looking for. When I got there, I saw the one I had researched but then I saw that they had a better one on sale for a less expensive price than the one I had looked at. I searched for an associate for a while and finally found one. Just as I was asking my questions, his little (annoying) walkie-talkie thing started talking. The lady on the other end said "I'm sending someone your way about an ice machine". Instead of telling the new customer to hold for just a few minutes, he looked at me and said "I'll be right back". I was thrilled about that (insert sarcasm). I wanted to leave right then but then I remembered what the Lord has been trying to teach me about pride and being offended so I waited, and waited, and waited and waited. And then precious sweet Home Depot worker came back. He had no idea how to answer my questions. I was attempting to grant grace since it was early in the morning but I was struggling. He made some calls and finally "they" said I could have the discount even though they had no idea why they were giving it to me. Whatev :). I attempted to befriend Mr. Home Depot man during the transaction that took a while and it turns out that he is pretty nice. I don't think he realized that I was flustered at first. Thank God! An hour or so later, I walked out of Home Depot with....A RECEIPT! Going to pick up the washing machine later this week.

Until next time-
Les

No comments: